Monday, December 31, 2007

The Importance of the Work

I feel the author of this had many strong points and I agreed with a lot of them. Some things were a little off to me. I definitely like when he talked of how novels were to be discussed in many places but not a court room. A book being banned for its bad language just seems ridiculous, to me atleast. And to say that he was portraying a bad role model for readers is just outrageous. At no point in the book did he portray is bad decisions as good decisions. It was simply a story of a kid going through life and messing up. He certainly showed us many things you should not do and ways you should not act. And also I feel that Holden's cursing and bad habits very much defined him as a character. In my personal opinion, if you read The Catcher in the Rye, and one of the things you got out of it was that smoking is good, and you model your life after Holden's.... You are an idiot.

No comments: